Oct 16, 2012

NEWMUSICMONDAY: SOLANGE, FLYINGLOTUS, WIZKHALIFA, NICKWATERHOUSE

Hi All!
How we doing? Hope you have had an incredible weekend. Mine was spent hiking the Brooklyn Bridge, brunching in Bed-Stuy and meeting new and old friends. Absolutely splendid. With all that came some incredible new music, seems to be the season for releasing new albums and singles, which of course is directly linked to Christmas sales ;) SO I am very happy with my list today :) Enjoy!

1. SOLANGE KNOWLES - LOSING YOU

So, if you haven't already claim witness to the amazingness that is the re-birth of Solange Knowles, then this brand new song and video clip is a great starting point. I feel like Solange went through a massive re-haul of her sense of style, and it is working for her! I have paid great homage to Bey's little sis, and can't be more prouder with her newest song. I am in love with it! Its super chills, with a great hook and a pretty infectious melody. This honestly gets me excited for her album that is due to come out November 9th. And the video clip! Simple, understated and uber cool. Everything Solange is now. 

2.  FLYING LOTUS REMIX - MY ROOM IS WHITE BY MIA DOI TODD

I am  madly into  Flying Lotus at the moment. Though technically not a newbie, this track is still very fresh! This Mia Doi Todd track has been masterfully remixed by Flying Lotus in a way that preserves the originality of the song but adding extra depths to it. I digg it. 

3. WIZ KHALIFA - REMEMBER YOU FT THE WEEKND

I read somewhere describe this track as a revisit to the days when Usher & R.Kelly used to make duets.. and to a point I see that. But this duo definitely have their own style in this kind of genre. I mean this track is clearly very Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd). But Wiz Khalifa adds a certain polished rap which is a great change to The Weeknd's signature tracks. But to me the hook, line and sinker to any The Weeknd tracks are his lyrics. Its like the ex-boyfriend syndrome.
"All I ask for you is to try to earn my memory, make me remember you. Like you remember me". 
Like that's just messed up, but I call it the Stockholm Syndrome. You know the lyrics aren't very nice, but you keep going back... The Weeknd just has this effect.

4.NICK WATERHOUSE - SAY I WANNA GO

I am in a legitimate love affair with this Californian man. My love of 50s/60s music runs super deep, thanks to my mother (where The Supremes, Temptations and other Motown acts would make regular appearances on our iTunes). So when someone present begins to make music from that sweet sweet era with such conviction, I cant help but be infatuated. Raphael Saadiq would be the other incredible artist who dabbled in this sound, but I found with Saadiq's albums, the genre wasnt followed through. Unlike Nick Waterhouse's stuff. Its all motown, old school RnB all the time. And that takes a lot of guts to do in a musical age like ours now. I am in love with this track and cant wait to get the album, this song to me is an absolutely perfect Sunday morning song. You will most probably be hearing more from this man on A&D, so I suggest you keep a keen look out ;)

And with that amazing sound, today's NewMusicMonday session is over. 
Hope you have enjoyed and found some new artists to research and fall in love with, expect some more soon :) 

Till then, have a great week!


twitterbloglovinfacebook

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving Solange's new video but I might be a little biased because it was filmed right here in my home town of Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete

Oh hello,