Oct 1, 2013
Sep 26, 2013
My latest purchase was this beautiful J Crew woolen khaki coat I bought at my local Goodwill near work for $10!!!!! It was originally $19.99, but was on a half-off sale. Can you believe that?
Seriously, thrifting (or op shopping as us Aussies know it as) is seriously on another level here in New York! Which shouldn't really come as surprise. But I was under the impression that because a majority of financially savvy New Yorkers would have cleaned out thrift stores around town. But boy was I wrong. I have consistently found amazing pieces at charity shops around New York City and Brooklyn. So I have found that these little tips have been really helping me score some good ones.
- Do a lot of research and figure out the closest/most convenient op shop you have - The more convenient it is, the more you will make an effort to go thrifting.
- Try and make it there every week. New stock gets on a weekly basis in op shops, so you can always find something!
- Sign up to the newsletter - You will find out about special deals, discounts and opening specials.
- Get a loyalty card. In America - they even have loyalty/punch cards for op shops. Best idea ever!
- Don't stick to size or gender restrictions. Especially if the store is having a sale, people will not be diligent in returning an item back to its appropriate place - some of the best finds are always hiding in the wrong spots.
- Hit up the "recently returned" racks that stand outside the changing rooms. Its like a specially curated section of items that other people have deemed worthy of trying on but for some reason didnt work. So when you have little to no time - hit it up first!
- Find a good seamstress - They can alter and fix amazing op shop items to be more wearable, and chances are these pieces will last a lot longer in your wardrobe.
And honestly, it doesn't even matter where you in the world, these tips will serve you very well !
Can't get over how much I love this coat.
Have you got any tips/tricks on how you thrift successfully?
twitter • tumblr • bloglovin • facebook
Sep 7, 2013
So not sure if you are like me, but if you also happen to be stuck to a desk/work while NYFW gloriously passes us by chances you are also having NYFW'14 withdrawals. I certainly am - mostly because it is pure irony that I also happen to be in New York this year. But to get the most out the season's shows I have a few helpful links and sites that will keep you in the loop of whats going on.
Aug 23, 2013
I keep saying this but seriously, 2013 is the year for rap and hip hop. Among many other amazing hip hop albums that have come out this year, Doris by Odd Future's Earl Sweatshirt is one that I have been anticipating highly! After hearing Chum, I was hooked and excited to hear more from the newly re-invented Earl Sweatshirt. Doris came out two days ago and it pretty much blew up all over the internet. I got my brother Sureiyan (find his blog I Like Your Thursday Personality here) to pre-emptively review the album - 'cause its everything I want to say but said in a more eloquently way. Read the review after the jump.
• The album is akin to a movie, high and lows. Drama and comedy. Builds the closer you get to the end.
• Touches of 90s psychedelic hip hop, which I very into at the moment.
• The album is completely different to what we were expecting. For which Earl has been quoted will lose him existing fans but also gain new ones. Either way seems to be win/win.
• More mature, harder rhymes and completely unique to Earl's sounds.