Dec 3, 2012

NEWMUSICMONDAY: THE NEIGHBORHOOD, NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS, YOUNG FATHERS & KEATON HENSON

Happy first week of December people!
How are we all? Recovering from Stereo? Or maybe from a work Christmas party? Well I have just the cure for you: New Music :) Some melancholy tunes today with a dash of psychedelic hip hop for good measure. Enjoy! 

1. THE NEIGHBOURHOOD: LET IT GO

I’ve written about The Neighbourhood before, and I am extremely excited to hear another brand new song from their debut EP, Let It Go. But I am even more excited to know that they will be playing at next year’s Laneway Festival! I can’t wait to catch them live! Their sound is haunting (as is their image) and just B&G enough to get you tapping your toes and swinging your hips. I find myself listening to The NBHD on long walks when I need to clear my head - don’t diss it till you try it!

2. NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS: WE KNOW WHO U R

Nick Cave &The Bad Seeds are back in 2013 with their 15th studio album “Push The Sky Away” (out early Feb) and this is their newest single. Following on from The Neighbourhood up there, this track is also slightly haunting and very melancholy. But that’s the art of Nick Cave, I am always kind of a little scared of his songs but also left wanting more. The single is also very reminiscent of soundtracks from the mid 70s, I can already imagine a video clip forming in my head with washed out colours and smoke vapourising across lovers.

3. YOUNG FATHERS - DEADLINE

If you like a little Bloc Party action then you will definitely love Young Fathers. Made up of three fine gentleman from Scotland (via Nigeria, Liberia and America respectively) Young Fathers are new to the game and are already generating buzz for their unique sound and beats. Is it Rap? Pop? It doesn’t matter, its all good. I prefer to think of it more as psychedelic hip hop. Deadline is the first single from their mixtape, Tape One. Out next year, the mixtape is already on my 2013 new music wish list.

4. KEATON HENSON: SWEETHEART, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO US

Another soft one, Keaton Henson hails from London, England and is the son of famous actor Nicky Henson. But unfortunately for Keaton, this isnt what defines currently in the media. Keaton has been branded as a singer and artist with terrible stage fright and in his (albeit) short career has only performed live one, and disastrously. But all that aside, you can’t fault the guy’s obvious talent for music and songwriting. His sound his honest, despondent and beautiful. Play on Keaton Henson.

What did you think of this week's picks? 


twitterbloglovinfacebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hello,