May 30, 2012

DIY EMBELLISHED CLUTCH // PT.2

Yayyyyy Part Two of my DIY Embellished Clutch! I have been so excited to share the full DIY since posting about my inspiration here. I am super happy with the way it turned out - so much so that I am already thinking about making in other sizes - great gift idea on a budget!!!.




Just some notes before we get started though. I chose to glue my trimmings on to my pencil case as opposed to stitching them on. Of course if you're handy with a sewing machine, I would advise you to go in that route. But unfortunately, not only do I not have a sewing machine, I posses no sewing capabilities what-so-ever. I know, shocker! I do think it works brilliantly just with glue too, but if you're paranoid about the trimmings falling off then:
a) get yourself some Super Strength Glue! or,
b) get friendly with a sewing machine/needle and thread.

ON TO THE DIY!
Click the read more button to get yourself embellished!
#thatclutchisosfetch


Supplies
Pencil case - preferably a material one as it will adhere better. But I worked with a plastic version and it worked perfectly - and I think it would be similar results if you used the vinyl stuff too. Definitely stay away from the neon preen shit.
This is your time to re-use and re-cycle, so upcycle your old pencil cases for this DIY. Alternatively, check your local news agent, Big W or Officeworks to get a new one.
Trimmings, ribbons, fringing, sequins, scrap material. Anything that comes in strips. Either recycle old scarves, scrap materials, maxi skirts or get some from Lincraft. Mine was a combination of an old Tree of Life top and Lincraft goodness.
Glue/Needle & Thread/Sewing Machine - your choice of binding agent.
Fabric scissors

Optional - Tassel for the zip.
Suede - I got mine from Reject Shop (a pack of 5 for $2), but you could use old shoes laces or get some suede from Lincraft too. 
 Cotton - from Lincraft

Steps
1. Gather your scraps and start stripping your material in different widths. If you're slightly OCD, work with just all being the same width, but I love the look when they are all different sizes and textures.
2. Cut a piece of material the same circumference as the back of your pencil case. More on why I did this a little later. Keep it to the side for now. I ironed the wrinkles out so that it would adhere better to the flat surface of the case.
3. Now let's get creative. This is an important process so that you know you have enough material and so that you can plan the design. Start playing around with different layering techniques and positions.
4. So this is a step you would substitute to your own process if you weren't glueing the trimmings. I grabbed a piece of scrap paper and poured out some glue which I could paint on to the trimmings, it would adhere cleaner to the pencil case than if you were to dot or swirl the glue on to the trimming. Trust me on this one.
5. Start with one trimming, paint some glue on and stick to the case according to your pre-planned design.
6. - 7 Start layering and glueing till your done! Handy tip: I chose to layer on a piece of ribbon over my fringing material so that it would have some texture. So if you do this, make sure you glue down all your bottom layers first!
8. Make sure to leave some allowance on either end of your pencil case.If you cut your trimming to the exact width of your case, you would have a lot of raggedy fraying. But by doing the next step, you can avoid this and have a more polished look.
9. You want to fold over your extra trimmings and glue them to the back of your pencil case.
10. This is where your piece of square material comes in handy, you want to then glue this material covering the back of the case including over the extra trimmings. Leaving you with a clean finish at the back :)


I added a tassel to my zip and I think it just finishes the whole DIY off really nicely. I'm not going to bore you with how to make that - as there are a gazilion tutorials on how to make it on the internet. Check this one out for example.



And ta-da!!! You have your very own DIY Embellished Clutch!
Perfect winter statement piece. Of course this would also make a snazzy pencil case or make-up bag! I'm going to make a few different sizes and use them as coin purses, Go Card and iPhone holders. The options are just limitless.


I honestly would love love love to hear what you think!
Let me know if you tried it out and of course if you have any question, just get in touch via the Facebook page here!









twitterbloglovinfacebook

4 comments:

  1. you're so quick with your DIYs! love love love it! definitely wanting to try it out for myself once i find some time - look forward to more xx

    nicole
    http://blankbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole - you totally have to try it out. So fulfilling :D And seriously got so many compliments on my baby. Definitely post about it! :) x

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I was looking forward to seeing the end result. Now I have to do one myself! I am such a messy cat though, will probably just glue it all in a big ball and then throw it out... :)

    Looking forward to more DIYs

    xx
    Astrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astrid! Serously, me and a sewing machine could never and will never be uttered in the same sentence. So I'm with you on that one ;) There are definitely more DIYs brewing! Watch this space! xx

      Delete

Oh hello,