Apr 23, 2012

NEWMUSICMONDAY: ASHERROTH, PIGEON, MAJORLAZER, KNAAN

Happy Happy Happy Happy Monday!
Its back to Monday again (I really cant believe it) so ergo its time for #NewMusicMonday.

1. ASHER ROTH - PARTY GIRL

Probably one of my favourite sampling work of recent. And one of my favourite American rappers, Asher Roth, kills it with this version. There are some hilarious lines in the song too but I really cant help but sing along to the chorus. So yes, if you havent picked it, the sample is from Eddie MurphyRick James' Party All The Time. Definitely one of those songs to break out during a party!

2. K'NAAN - WAITING IS A DRUG

Depending on who you are, you either have heard of K'Naan because of this or this. For me it was the latter and I haven't turned back since. There is something about K'Naan's voice that is addictive and keeps me wanting more. And this song is no different. From the playful piano and whistling to infectious beat, everything about this song is super cool. K'Naan held a viral video contest for the video clip of the song and you can check out the entries over at the official Youtube page here. This one is my favourite :)

3. MAJOR LAZER - GET FREE FT AMBER COFFMAN

Major Lazer is back in action and is out with newbie Get Free featuring Amber Coffman of Dirty Projectors. Diplo (one half of Major Lazer) tweeted the track early last week and finally found a good copy of the song to listen to. I think this track is quiet different to the usual Major Lazer stuff - but it just goes to show how talented Diplo and Switch really are.

4. PIGEON - ULTIMATUM

Two back to back local music acts - wow! I've been loving the amount of gigs that have been around Brisbane lately. And oh my gosh people - if you are going to listen to at least one local band this year - unsigned! - you would be stupid! not to choose Pigeon. I was first introduced to the band through a mutual friend, and I have enjoyed listening to these guys grow!!! Finally I was able to catch these guys live thanks to my best friend turned promoter (or is that the other way around... hah! I joke) at Alhambra Lounge.


I know I use a lot of dramatic and exaggerated words on this blog, but there is no other way to describe these guys. They are absolutely incredible and amazing live! Pigeon are, to me, a mix of Metronomy, DZ and Chase & Status - and this combined with killer saxophone and trumpet solos is just electrifying live. They are performing nationally in the coming months, so find all the information you need on their facebook page here.

And thats this week's #NewMusicMonday.
Have a great rest of the week internet!




twitterbloglovinfacebookpinterest me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hello,