Dec 12, 2011

NEWMUSICMONDAY: LUPE FIASCO, BIBIO, RAY CHARLES, AZEALIA BANKS, VIRGINS

New new new Music Music Music Monday Monday Monday.
Lets get straight to it ;)

1. BIBIO - DON'T SUMMARISE MY SUMMER EYES

Such a sweet title :) Gotta love some new Bibio action. My other including this one and this one, and I am glad that they are continuing to make some sweet instrumentals. A fresh start to this week's NewMusicMonday.

2. RAY CHARLES' WHAT I'D SAY - BOBBY C SOUND TV REMIX

Now I know this title looks super duper lame.. remixing a classic - really??? I heat you say. But seriously. If you love the old stuff as much as I do, these remixes are GOLDEN! Especially when this track belongs to a whole album of remixed oldies - as compiled for Ghetto Funk Icons The Icons Vol 2. My other favourites on that album is the The Who's Who Are You remixed and the American Woman remix :)

3. LUPE FIASCO - LUPE BACK

So this song is very much separate/different from his much earlier stuff like Kick, Push. With more of a political theme to his newer stuff, Lupe Fiasco is back with a vengeance. His new mix tape Friend of the People is raw, edgy, angry and realllllyyyyyy good. Both lyrically and production wise. Its fresh. I like it best when AudioCred discusses Lupe's new stuff:

"Cynicism has always separated Lupe from the rest of rap. While some rappers may revel in the modern day miracles that are the iPhone and Jordan sneakers, Lupe takes Apple and Nike customers out to the woodshed.
[...] Lupe, depending on whom you ask, is either the most prophetic or pretentious MC in the game. Either way, he’s the only rapper I know who spits like a parent reading over their child’s Christmas list."

This mix tape goes above and beyond in proving that Lupe, when left to his own devices, produces much more talented work than what he produces in a recording studio. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Lupe in general.. but I just love this new, raw Lupe better :)

4. AZEALIA BANKS - 212

Oh yep. Newwwwww favourite artist! Azealia Banks is repeating on my iTunes a llllll this week. She is definitely stepping up the game for female rappers. Thought I appreciate rappers like Nikki Minaj, I aint a fan. But throw some Nikkiya, Azealia Banks, M.I.A or Santigold into the mix and I am your best friend. A recent graduate from the prestigious La Guardia Performance Arts School, Banks is one serious rapper, and lets not forget her sickkkkk voice (reminds me a lot of Nikkiya in the singing part) - she is definitely going on my "To Watch for 2012" list. And seriously, that Lazy Jay track she raps on is just so infectious. A very good summer track to blast when you're feeling a little down. I left the video there, to show how real/normal Azealia looks. Thank god for no pink hair, fake lashes or outrages costumes.

5. VIRGINS - DOLPHINS
"CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE TRACK"
Aaaahhh... lets chill out this post from all the hip hop heaviness, with some amazing new LoFi by Virgins. I love how they started as a band, for that you can click this article here. Its exactly what you want to listen to on a chill late night on the weekend. It has almost put me to sleep quite a few times cause of how soft and dreamy this track is. I am very much excited to hear more from Virgins. And you know whats even better, Virgins are putting up their album for sale on their band camp for "whatever you are willing to pay for price". Seriously good music at whatever you want to pay is a win in my book. Yay for new music.

I have been writing like crazy these past couple of days, so definitely look forward to some new content a little bit more consecutively this week. But I don't want to be tooooo content heavy, so we shall still spread it out nicely :)

What did you think of this week's NewMusicMonday?? Any favourites??
Leave your comments below, or on the Facebook page :)

Talk soon,
XOXOXOX



TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN // FACEBOOK LOVE