May 10, 2011

POST RAFW 2011

Alright-y, quite a few people have been waiting for my post on this :)
And that makes writing it that much more enjoyable.
But not wanting to drag this post on forever and ever.. I am going to try and be succinct! Which translates into: there might be some parts of this post, that will need further clarification. HA!

For those reading this for the first time, I ended being asked to follow my two bosses (I work for a boutique fashion public relations agency) to Australian Fashion Week; to help with our two labels showing in the Swimwear and Resort Show: Terri Donna & Foxton Danger. Read about how that happened over here.
SNAPSHOT FROM TAXI // BAKERY WHERE WE GOT LUNCH // THE ROCKS IN SYD

My flight left Brisbane at 6:30 AM (SLEEP CHECK: I had only had 4 hours of sleep before my flight), and we arrived in amazing Sydney around 8:00 AM. And I knew my work was just getting started. Not even half an hour in landing in the bustling city, we got into a car crash. Hahaha, fortunately no one got terribly hurt, but the taxi was hit pretty badly. And can I just inject here that Sydney has some of the worst drivers! And, I'm comparing this to Kuala Lumpur which is renown for its bad drivers. So we swiftly got out and caught another cab to the Westinn to meet our talented designers for a brief and then on to RAFW.

After all the boring logistical stuff, organising lost shoes - finding our models etc etc etc.. we finally arrived at the venue, which this year was at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Circular Quay. And amazingly, it was everything that I expected it to be.
SOME STREET STYLE // OUR TEAM & RAFW VOLUNTEERS


Beautifully dressed people all running around trying to make sure their shows and clients were organised. Chaos amongst the tall lanky models running around in kaftans, bikinis and super high heels. A lot of shouting done by backstage managers, a lot of clipboards and a lot of bossing around. Not by me or my bosses, but from other people. We were super organised and were our casual Brisbane selves. Sydney people are way to highly strung. Not bitchy... just competitive ;)
But I loved it.

TOP PIC - ALL FOXTON DANGER KAFTANS // BACKSTAGE WITH MODELS FROM KAREN NIELSON, TERRI DONNA AND FOXTON DANGER.

My main role was to assist my bosses and make sure models in our label's garments were photographed by all the photographers backstage (met the photographers from Vogue, Famous/Who, Fashioning). Now, I get a lot of flack for being short. But I tell you, my height was definitely A BIG ADVANTAGE HERE. I KID YOU NOT! Cause I was so short, I could run circles around all the tall peeps and grab my models and oh so subtly place them in front of photographers, and didn't get it in anyone's way. It was a mega rush. As this started to die down, and the show time was approaching, I got told there was a tickets left for our team to sit in the show! Yayyy, my first ever RAFW show. Our labels opened and closed the group show and got thundering applause from the high caliber crowd.
THE RUNWAY // TERRI DONNA (DESIGNER) AND THE FACE OF HER LABLE KIRSTY DOING TEH FINAL WALK // MORE TERRI DONNA DESIGNS

So by this point I have been awake for 20-21 hours, and its only 5pm. Awesome.
But this is when all the fun started, so I could hardly go and catch some Zzzzs, could I?
The next few hours were a whirlwind of fun that included tapas and cocktails at the Blubar in the Shangri-La, The Ivy and one other place that I could not remember. I made some amazing contacts and some very cool friends. One of my favourite parts of the night: driving around in a soft top baby blue Mercedes. I'm a simple girl. So after all that "networking" we finally got to our hotel at about 2AM. This was followed by sleep (SLEEP CHECK: only 5 hours) a delicious breakfast and post show media stuff. It was INTENSE! to say the least.. :)
ITS A FULL HOUSE // THE SHUTTERS OF THESE CAMERA IS MOST DEFINITELY ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SOUNDS

And that was it. I am so grateful and humble for this experience and could not believe that I got to experience all that :) I am definitely looking for round 2 next year,, hint hint!

Hope you got through all that and enjoyed the pictures... there is definitely more from where these came from. And again, thank you to all my friends and family who showed me so much love for me during this. You are all so supportive and think I'm ahhhmazing. So I think you're ahhhmazing for thinking so :)



STREET STYLE TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hello,