May 22, 2011

JAI PAUL VERSUS DRAKE

Sundays is the day I do a lot of my blog and music surfing.
And although I am missing one of the best foodie festivals to hit Brisbane - Paniyiri Greek Festival - I am kinda glad I stuck to my guns and stayed home to get a head start on uni work.And unlike my peers and friends, I find it very hard to concentrate without music playing.

 VS 

So as I was listening to some of Hype Machine's new music finds and got onto Drake's "long awaited" comeback since June/July of last year. I don't really care for this dude's music, his voice annoys me and his raps are just not for me. They are quite hypocritical and just mehhhh...

SO ITS NOT SURPRISING THAT WHEN I LISTENED TO DRAKE'S "DREAMS MONEY CAN BUY", I INSTEAD FELL IN LOVE WITH THE SAMPLE USED IN THE SONG.

1. DRAKE - DREAMS MONEY CAN BUY



2. JAI PAUL - BTSTU



Dreams Money Can Buy is okay.. but this is because (I think, anyway) the sample is holding most of the weight. The sample is by Jai Paul and the song is called BTSTU (still have no clue on what this is an acronym for). But what I can tell you is that this song is so so so good and beyond its years. Although the song got pretty big on the blogosphere last year, after Jail Paul was signed to XL Recordings, the song BTSTU has actually been around for years.

BTSTU was actually one of Jai Paul's first demos back in 2007. The song is very much a love child from the marriage of Bon Iver and Magnetic Man. The soothing voice and rain drop sound effects introduces the song to the ears so soothingly, until the brain registers that Jai Paul is actually singing "Don't f*k with me.. Don't f*ck with me..." Then POW! you get hit with the slight dubstep feel of the song. Hence the Magnetic Man & beyond its years reference.

I am actually very excited to have found Jai Paul, and if it was because of Drake - who cares. This is why I will aways argue that sampling in Hip Hop will always do so much more good than bad.

Sampling helps uncover new music to people and leads bigger named artist (Drake) to showcase to the world lesser known talent (Jai Paul) to a much wider audience, then this smaller name artist would have. The process of sampling allows for this democratisation of music to happen a lot quicker too. As in; it took Jai Paul's brilliant BTSTU 3 years to hit notoriety. Whereas Drake has managed to get it to the masses in a mere couple of days that his track Dreams Money Can Buy was leaked.



THE COMMENTS UNDERNEATH JAI PAUL'S VIDEO FOR BTSTU ON YOUTUBE. LOLLLL!

For more on Jai Paul, I found this brilliant blog article here, by fellow music blogger David Seidler.
Jai Paul's Myspace.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!



STREET STYLE TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN

2 comments:

  1. Innovating post. Thank you for introducing another incredible artist to your blog.

    I have an small observation...

    After the democrarisation of music commences. Jai Paul then becomes the new 'up and coming' artist to hit mainstream airwaves. I hope he doesn't become another sell out to collaborate with the likes of (Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna).

    "Love child from the marriage of Bon Iver and Magnetic Man." Couldn't have said it better myself. New found love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely..
    but I don't think Jai Paul could be capable of selling out.. its more like other artist who inadvertently sell them out by sampling his songs.
    oh well...

    thanks for you lovely comment once again beautiful DP!
    X

    ReplyDelete

Oh hello,