May 23, 2011

NEWMUSICMONDAY: BEYONCE, SANTIGOLD, BLACK JOE LEWIS, SKRILLEX, ALEXI MURDOCH

I totally get that these past few weeks have been music heavy post. But I am kinda in my music zone lately.. And my zone would not be complete without some New Music Monday!
(I am having a competition with Tracy Grimshaw (from A Current Affair), for most obscene segue).

1. SANTIGOLD - GO FT KAREN O.
What can I say, I am a sucker for Santigold. I think she is freakin talented and get me all women powered and shizz. I really like the combination of voices in Santigold and Karen O. And what a combination! Its got a bit of 60s vibe running through it and it wouldn't be a Santigold track without that bit of dirty edge to it. I am excited, cause surely this means another Santigold album! I loved her last one. This has me pumping my fist and two-stepping like nobody's business.


2. ALEXI MURDOCH - AT YOUR DOOR.
Okay, I cheated yet again, this song isnt new, but its new for me. Any Gossip Girl fan will tell you that this song by Alexi Murdoch is from the now infamous hand holding scene. But I wont extend on those details anymore.. as I don't know how many of us have caught up to the new season. This song reminds me so much of Moby's work and a bit of Jeff Buckley as well. All in all its your go to "when its raining on a Sunday afternoon" song. Curl up against your iTunes/MP3 Player with this playing with a cup of rose tea and looking out to your window, and you are set for a great afternoon.


3. SKRILLEX - RUFFNECK BASS
I seriously cant get enough of Skrillex at the moment. And my mother is slightly worried. Ha! This song is so bass'y and dub step'y, its ridiculous. I definitely don't think this is for all, but if you wanna feel like you're in a Skins clubbing episode, just grab some black eyeliner - smudge it in, pull out that hairtie and play the track. I wont lie, this song is such a good stress reliever - a crash 1 minute dance sesh, just sets me off for my next 2 hours of assignmenting.


4. BLACK JOE LEWIS & THE HONEYBEARS - LIVIN IN THE JUNGLE
Oh Yay!!!!! This song hits all my big band buttons. If you like Cat Empire, Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings etc.. you will love these guys. Black Joe Lewis and The Honeybears are a band from the states and way underrated! They only have uploaded 3 official videos on to their Youtube account, but their fans have uploaded so so so much more.. so have a about 2 hours blocked out of your afternoon and have a search of Black Joe Lewis and The Honeybears :)


5. BEYONCE - RUN THE WORLD (GIRLS)
OH. MY. GOD! This video, this song, the choreography.. where the hell do I start!??!?!?!
SONG: Well lets start with the song, it was literally released about 5 days ago (premiered on American Idol of all things) and it has caused soooo much hype. If you're wondering why the song sounds familiar its because Beyonce has sampled Major Lazer's Pon De Floor. Now, some say that she has ruined the original, or that the sample doesnt actually fit the song. But I completely disagree. I think the sample makes the song the badass track that was intended by Beyonce and her music team.

STYLING: Holyyyyyyyyy sh*ttttttt! The amount of high fashion/couture designs that I saw on the video is huuuuuge. Hence the media deeming the video as a high fashion music video. And I agree, from McQueen's signature piece from his last collection.. to those amazing Gareth Pugh Gold shoes!! Ah! Ah! Ah! Everything just worked!!! (For a rundown on what she wore, click here) The styling of the shoot was amazing, B's new light eyebrows just finished the highly stylised video concept. This all of course worked so well because A) Beyonce call put it allllll off and B) the fact that Francis Lawrence was the director contributed a lot. Francis Lawrence directed Gaga's Bad Romance so you can definitely see some similarities.

There is a lot of criticism out there for Beyonce's new track - but this is so predictable.. as the same outcry was produced  from so called "die-hard" Beyonce fans on her B-Day album. You aint no die-hard Beyonce fans if you cant get with how Beyonce is doing her part in paving the way for new and more innovative powerful female musicians. I am down B, you keep doing your thing, cause to me YOU RUN THE (MUSIC) WORLD! 



Excuse me while I go out to bleach my eyebrows and learn the words and choreography to Run The World.
PEACE!



STREET STYLE TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hello,