Apr 4, 2011

NEWMUSICMONDAY: ALEX WINSTON, CHASE STATUS, LUPE FIASCO, B.E.P, JOHN LEGEND

Its a big one today.
So lets get straight in to it. I wanted to include a couple of more artists in this lineup, but if you have Triple J which most of you do.. you know that Justice is a big artist this week - as is Drapht's new album Life of Riley (who I am hoping to catch soon at The Hi-Fi).

1. ALEX WINSTON - SISTER WIFE
New artist this week, Alex Winston - not sure if she is on the radio just yet. But I wouldnt be surprised if Alex Winston pops on the charts pretty soon. She has a Bertie Blackman feel and definitely a bit of PJ Harvey influence going on here.
Google Facts: She is from Chicago, unsigned as of yet, and does a lot of covers. So do a bit of Youtube search on Alex Winston to get some more. I have chosen Sister Wife as the song to best represent her.. cause lets face it with a song title like Sister Wife, who isnt curious!
The lyrics to this song are also so good. Its really catchy too! It will get you Ooooooh'ing in no time."Hey there sister wife, get the hell out! Its my night. "



2. CHASE & STATUS ft PLAN B & RAGE - FOOL YOURSELF 
Now I'll be honest, from what I have heard of Chase & Status' stuff on Triple J, I was ready to write them off.
But I bought the album for my friend's 21st and had a sneaky listen and was like amazed. It is definitely still in the electro/techno genre. But a more sophisticated take on it. The album is worth a listen to - go and buy it even - cause it makes the best getting ready CD on this side of 2011.
It also features some talented sounds from Plan B who sings on a couple of the tracks.. so there is that for our Plan B lovers. The best part: is while listening to some of them, you literally feel like you're in an episode of Skins. For this I love you Chase & Status. If you love this, you should check out End Credits featuring Plan B, it seems to be a crowd favourite.


3. LUPE FIASCO - WHAT U WANT

OH MY GOSH, What can I say about this song, a lot actually. But I wont.
I have already played and replayed this song like over 35 times (I checked my iTunes number of played list). Lupe Fiasco always comes out with GOLD when its a slow song. And this song is no exception. You wouldnt hear this song on the main charts I dont think - its a shame - but its definitely something to look forward to when you listen to Lasers. Its perfect to listen to just before I go to bed. His dulcet tones really make me calm... even his off pitch notes are kinda charming. For me to find the pitchiness adorable is saying something. I absolutely abhor people who cant sing and yet release albums.  *COUGH REBECCA BLACK*



4. BLACK EYED PEAS - JUST CANT GET ENOUGH
I honestly cant. Black Eyed Peas are another guilty pleasure of mine. They are the one band that I have been following every since they formed in the 1990s. I have every single one of their albums (except for The E.N.D, as I would like to pretend - that it didn't happen .... )
I dig everything about it. Even the predictable switch up at the end. I think Will.I.Am's verse blows everyone else's out of the water.. and I think Fergie looks the best in this video.



5. JOHN LEGEND ft KENTON DUNSON
I left this to the end cause I just find it hilarious that this is the second cover I have heard in the two weeks that Adele has brought out 21. Rolling in the deep is definitely one of her best songs - I dont care for much of her stuff to be honest.. my mother loves her. I dont see the appeal. But I digg this song. And what can I say, I really cant blame for John Legend to cover it. He gives his own feel to it - his voice.... I just want to bottle it up - but the song also maintains its original feel. You would remember the other cover of this song here by Mike Posner.
SKIP OVER THE RAPPING PART ;)




AND THATS IT FOR THIS WEEK.
TELL ME, WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE FROM THE LIST?
AND DO YOU HAVE ANY NEW MUSIC THAT I SHOULD LISTEN TO? :)

ALSO FINDING THAT SECOND COVER OF AN ADELLE SONG MADE ME THINK OF WRITING A WHOLE MUSIC POST ON MY FAVOURITE COVERS, REMIXES AND SAMPLES...YES?
I remembered that I wrote a persuasive oral on how samples were great for the music industry. Trying to convince a bunch of music purist on sampling was a tough gig. But I got a High Distinction ;)




Follow amped+dangerous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hello,