Oct 30, 2010

DIY: KAHLO HEADBAND

Hello, I bring you yet another DIY post :D
As for my lack of posting, you can blame my university which lead to a boring couple of weeks filled with study and assignmenting. Fun.

Anyway, as it is Halloween eve, many events arose for this DIY.
My mother is going as Frida Kahlo for her Halloween party and I needed to fit the attire for Lush's Day of the Dead party - which was awesome!


So I feel like a massive sell out making/wearing this headband..
Partly because this headband is huuuuuuge in Brisbane, and its cool kids scene.
Countless times my friend and I make fun of their monotone coloured flower headbands found on almost every single Black Doc Marten/Converse High Top wearing girls.
But I thought to myself, I havent seen a colourful one on anyone.. so I started getting busy. I also think it turned out very well. And, got a ton of compliments.
THIS TUTORIAL IS ALSO ECO-FRIENDLY/GREEN - except for the hot glue gun part. But I really couldnt substitute that.

you're going to need:
1. an old headband.. preferably a    wider one.
2. scissors
3. hot glue gun
4. old t-shirts


ONE: So you want to start by cutting out wide strips off your old shirts/tanks/dresses. I find printed maxi dresses that you dont wear anymore.. make a great starting point.
You can use a couple of different colours and materials.. or stick to the one.

The aim of the game here is to cut out as many circles as you need/can.
I am not sure how much you need, I just went with however many felt right.
You can obviously draw on circles using a template, or follow instruction number two.

TWO: Next you want to cut these strips of materials into squares. I didn't use any measurements.. just went with the flow. Just makes the headband a little more edgier than its "pretty" counterparts.
Keep going until you have enough squares. And to speed up the process of cutting out circles, you basically want to grab the square, fold it in half once, and fold that in galf again.. so you get a square.
Then holding the corner where the fold happen you cut from one side to the other, and when you fold out this cone shape.. you get a perfect circle every time. :)


THREE: Next you basically are just going to glue the circles on to the headband.
Now there is an art to this (not really... lol)
You want to place the glue in the middle of the circle, and then pinch the circle on to the headband.
Almost like folding the circle in half and placing it on the headband.
Always..always start in the middle so you get an even look.
and just keep going till you fill the headband, however full or sparse.
And you will get...


THIS IS RIDICULOUSLY EASY AND CHEAAAAAAAP! TRY IT!
That way you dont get ripped off by 17 year olds selling to you for $50-$100, for what only takes 20-25min tops and less than $5 to make.
Summer holidays is upon us. This should be your project.
MAKE A TON AND SELL THEM FOR THAT JEFFREY CAMPBELLS YOU HAVE BEEN LUSTING AFTER.
I KNOW I WILL BE.

Also, it looks adorable on ANYONE
Trust me on this one.
For example, on my friend Dominique!

Action shot:
BUBBLES GAME AT LUSH'S DAY OF DEAD PARTY


THANKS FOR READING :)

COMMENT ON WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THE HEADBAND..
DO YOU DIGG IT?
WOULD YOU BUY IT?
DO YOU PREFER THE ORIGINAL??

kazz, ☮ + xo.
amped+dangerous.

4 comments:

  1. Loved it!! it looks gorgeous! let's have a day of making these together so u can teach me the art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweeeeet :)
    would you buy it if i sold it? haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! When the usual 'top knot/Doc Marten' girls excess on a trend I tend to opt out. However, your DIY project has inspired me to do my own.

    I definitely would buy it! The fact that anyone can pull it off is so true. Dominique is not a girlie girl at all, but she looks devine wearing the Kahlo band. Props to you Kas, bring plenty to KL :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh hello,