Nov 28, 2011

NEWMUSICMONDAY: WASHINGTON, CHILDISHGAMBINO, NICKCAVE, EMINEM&PINK, HANDSOME BOY MODELLING SCHOOL

Hello, hello! How are we all?? What a scorcher of a weekend ey,
It was soooooo hottttt - but to cool down I headed to the markets and splurged on some festival wear. What did you do this weekend??

To celebrate today's somewhat acceptable weather (this is pending, cause I haven't gone outside since walking into my air conditioned office this morning haha...) lets have some newwwwwww music!!
Also, how did you like the Friday roundup - shall we make it a regular thing?? I'm making it a regular thing.

1. WASHINGTON - HOLY MOSES

Holy Moses indeed. I am in love with this song this week, partly because of how amazingly fabulous this video clip is. Washington is a downright chameleon. She looks amazing in just about everything. And this video clips is no different. Theoretically, greasy grungy bob mixed with smoked out black eye with a bit of gold running through it on a pretty pale complexion doesn't sound too fantastic. BUT IT WORKS. And you could say the same for the song with its hilarious inclusion of the kazoo. I love it, and its intriguing me to check out the whole album.


2. CHILDISH GAMBINO - SUNRISE

Childish Gambino - a triple threat. Actor, Comedian and Rapper. Gambino kills its for me in this track, I have been playing and replaying it like a crazy lady. The chorus and the "aaaaaah" is so infectious especially when paired up with the sickkkkkk beat! I think its one of the handful of songs on Gambino's album Camp that really shows off his real talented word play:
"That's that 20/20 hindsight
My shit be jackson, jordan, bolton, keaton, tyson: 5 mikes"

I just realllllly like the chorus, really relating to it at the moment ;) Its also very Kanye this song, which might have something to do with me obsessing over Camp
"Hey, what it do bitch? Why these other rappers do shit stupid?
While they be sleepin' I be onto that new shit
While they be sleepin' I be onto that new shit..."

3. NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS - DO YOU LOVE ME

So, this song has been played over and over again on Triple J airwaves, as the Straight To You (Nick Cave Tribute Concerts) rapped over the week. And the original track is as dark, grinding and melodic as the cover. And again what sold it to me was Nick Cave's brilliant dancing in the video clip. If only I could pull off that much pelvis movement. I have been a fan of Nick Cave only recently, and I am starting to realise (especially with all his work spanning The Bad Seeds and Grinderman) that I need to expand my collection of Nick Cave'ness.

4. EMINEM FT PINK - WONT BACK DOWN (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 4 THEME)

Lets be honest when you see both the name Eminem and Pink in the same sentence, it would be hard to resist from snorting. But when you see that its followed by "...collaborate on the theme for Mission Impossible 4.." then you're like ah cool. And thats exactly what the song is like. My first impression of the song is I kinda dig it, cause originally I thought the soulful vocals belong to Alicia Keys, but no no no. Its super cool Pink! And she pretty much makes the song for me... towards the end when its just Eminem, it gets a bit boring. Liking this song 100% is mission impossible.

5. HANDSOME BOY MODELING SCHOOL - THE TRUTH

Oh man... crushing on this girls voice so much!!! Its like so smooth and pitch perfect, I need to find out who it is. And this is probably one of the best band names!!! What I like about this song is its all chilled and then all of a sudden at about 2:50 you hear the beginning of  really good rap verse. Technically this song isn't so new - its actually from the late 90s. But when I first heard it and without knowing the back story, this song still sounds very relevant (even after 11 years later), which just shows the talent of Handsome Boy Modelling School members; Dan the Automator and Prince Paul. A little about H.B.M.S:

Handsome Boy Modeling School was a conceptual hip hop duo that parodied and acted as a commentary on vainconsumerist,materialistic, and self-absorbed members of upper class society, such as supermodels and people from old money. The pair often satirized upper class snobbery and perceived beauty. (THANK YOU WIKI).

And thats all I have for you this week folks, a nice mixture up there - but I do feel I am losing touch with the POP world.. so I am going to have to immerse myself in more of that this coming week. In saying this, if the ARIAs believe that GOTYE is POP, then maybe I'm not so lost.. 

Have a fantastic week!
XOXO


TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN // FACEBOOK LOVE