Nov 21, 2011

NEWMUSICMONDAY: BLACKKEYS, BASEMENTJAXX, DASRACIST, THEADAMSKIKID, RIZZLEKICKSONEROOM

Halelujah! The internet is back on again, and what better to celebrate it than a brand spanking NEWMUSICMONDAY!

I have some cool tunes for you gang, and I hope you get to reinvigorate your music playlist with a couple of these gems :) And remember I am always keen to hear from you and your suggestions for songs, cause as much as I love my muss, I am always on the hunt for fresh and new tracks and artists.

1. THE BLACK KEYS - LONELY BOY

The intro to this song really gets my heart pumping and my foot tapping. The brand new single from The Black Keys' upcoming album (El Camino) is fast, catchy and soulful. Makes me wonder what the rest of the album sounds like :) But we will have to wait till December for that sweet 70s goodness. I am not sure why (maybe my Dad's influence) but I have always been drawn to that grungy 60s / 70s sound, ala Black Keys, Kasabian, The Battles. Black Keys to me, have some of the best music videos as well, and this one is no different. Enjoy... :)

2. BASEMENT JAXX - HEY YOU ft ROBYN

So, when I heard this song first, I thought heck yessssss!!! A brand new sound that is really different and not really copied across genres. But in actual fact, this song is about five to six years old and very largely samples Fanfare Ciocarlia, which after a little research, and my mother, tells me that is a staple Latin song covered and interpreted by many. The song came to my attention after an Ikea used it in one of their ads. But I think using Robyn in it, just makes it a little more contemporary. I love it.

3. ONE ROOM - I WANT YOU

First of all, YAY! This sort of sound of alternative RnB/Soul kind of music is really taking off, especially since I heard one of my favourite!!!!! Frank Ocean songs being played on Triple J yesterday. Man, I hope he tours Australia, or the very least gets on the lineup for a festival. One Room is very much part of the whole Odd Future / The Weeknd movement. And if you don't like that sound, you're not gonna like One Room's I Want You. I am in love with it. It definitely isn't anywhere near the amazingness that is The Weeknd or Frank Ocean, but its still awesome in its own right.

4. THE ADAMSKI KID - JE VUE UNE CASSETTE DE BOWIE
[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/18775667" params="show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=e64700" width="100%" height="81" ]
I am so happy I found The Adamski Kid. They vibe and energy is so awesome. And the leading dude's style is wickeedddddd. I say wicked, cause they are English. The translation of the song basically means "I want a Bowie cassette" - and if a David Bowie cassette can spawn this, then I too vue une cassette de Bowie.

5. DAS RACIST - RELAX

Legit one of my favourite artists and albums at the moment. This is the title track from New York hip hop outfit Das Racist. And dudes will be here for Big Day Out, and I am sooooo pumped. You might have heard of the guys Das Racist before, with their song Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell - a joke apparently. But I am glad their EP isn't. Partly produced by Diplo, this album is sick if you love this East Coast hip hop. There are some other amazing tracks on the album too, if you have time - go have a look at Michael Jackson, Happy Rappy and The Trick.

6. RIZZLE KICKS - DOWN WITH THE TRUMPETS

Its so so so so so good. Plain and simple. Taking it real easy with some killer sampling, and the boy's voices don't hurt either - so deep and matured for a pair of English boys who are respectively 19 - 20 years old. For such a young pair, Rizzle Kicks know their shizz when it comes to clean hip hop, and the rest of the album (Stereo Typical) isn't bad either. So I am keen to get a hold of that soon!

And thats it for now peoples. There was a lot of heaviness and hip hop in this post, but hopefully we can soften it up next week :)

Its great to be back behind the keyboard.
Talk to you soon, XOXO


TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN // FACEBOOK LOVE